One of the oldest civilisations on earth, India sustains a unique and intriguing history. While travelling across this enigmatic country, you’d find an interesting mix of colourful festivals, diversified religions, and a unique lifestyle. There are so many interesting facts about India to unravel that a single trip to this country simply not enough.
So, we bring you a list of 21 such facts about India which would not only motivate you to explore this majestic land but also intrigue you to find out more.
1. India is the second largest English speaking country in the world, with close to 10% o the total population that can speak fluent English.
2. Hindu is not a religion, but a way of living. India got its name from the river Indus and subsequently the people of this region were started to be called as Hindus.
3. India ranks among world’s top 3 countries to make world records.
4. The Kumbh Mela is the largest religious gathering on earth, which takes place every 12 years. Around 30 million people were said to have gathered during the last mela (fare)which took place in 2013.
5. World’s biggest family of close to 180 people lives in the north eastern state of Mizoram in India. The head of the family, Zioana Chana has 39 wives, 94 children, 14 daughter in laws, and 33 granchildren.
6. Hindi is not the national Language. In fact, there is no national language on papers in India.
7. Takshila is said to be the world’s first fully operational university.
8. Banaras (now Varanasi) is the oldest continually inhabited city in the world.
9. The City Montessori School is the biggest school in the world in terms of number of students enrolled.
10. India is the largest democracy in the world.
11. More than 70% of India lives in the rural areas.
12. In India, cows are considered to be sacred and are even worshipped on special occasions. No wonder, you wouldn’t find it easy to get beef products/dishes in India
13. India is the birthplace of Chess.
14. The Indian flag as three colour bands, starting with saffron at the top which signifies courage and sacrifice, white in the middle which signifies truth and peace, and green at the bottom which signifies faith and fertility.
15. Contribution of India in the field of Mathematics is unparalleled. The number zero (without which the entire mathematics is a zero) was invented by Dr. Aryabhatta from India. Even the decimal system was invented in India in 100 B.C.
16. With more than 1,50,000 post offices, India has the largest postal network in the world.
17. Even the world’s highest post office is in India. Located at an elevation of 15,500 ft above sea level, in the valley of Spiti.
18. India even has the only floating post office in the world, at Dal Lake in Srinagar.
19. The Indian film industry is the largest in the world, with close to 1000 movies being produced each year in different languages.
20. Mawsynram, in Meghalaya, is the wettest place on earth with approximately 11,873mm of rainfall recorded every year.
21. India is the largest producer of milk in the world, with close to 146.31 million tonnes of milk produced.
These 21 facts were just a glimpse of what the country beholds and has to offer to its visitors. We hope you liked this list and were elevated to some extent to plan a trip to India soon. If you know any such interesting fact which you think should be a part of this list, do mention it in the comment box below.